Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beaded Goddess

Another new craft technique! I was making something for someone who is interested in "goddesses." I didn't know anything about goddesses and was, at first, a bit stumped re: what I could do with this theme. After a bit of research, I found a free online pattern for the above stuffed Bird Goddess. The body is turquoise cotten. I cut out the two sides of the goddess and handstitched them, not worrying about the seam or stitching inside-out since I was going to bead the sides after stuffing. Once the body was stuffed, I started adding beads.

This is my first attempt at beading so I wasn't sure what would happen. After beading around the circumference of the doll, I focused on embellishing her front. The final step was to add beaded hair. From the back, you see beaded loops of hair, which look pretty good and give a nice effect to the goddess.

I'm glad that I didn't spend too much time up-front before embarking upon the beading because I definitely changed my mind about bead placement throughout the project.

After making this goddess, I saw an amazing tree goddess with every part of her body covered in beads. That would be something I'd like to try the next time I have the urge or need to bead.

No comments: